One of the best Scouting resources in the District is the Climbing wall, found at the ex-pump house on Dark Lane. The space in the building was donated by North West Water, and kitted out with a high quality climbing wall in September 1998 by the Crew (and many other people), and is constantly being updated with new routes and equipment.
Rather than function as a standard climbing wall, this is a place for people to be trained in climbing techniques, allowing them to :
- Safely climb in a group
- Learn how to safely use climbing equipment
- gain confidence to climb outside
- complete sections of the progressive training scheme
Training sessions can be run as a one-off, or series of complementary sessions allowing for progressive training over a period of time – with the option to be taken outside to be instructed on natural crags.
Our instructors are from within Scouting, and we have opportunities for willing Explorers and Network / Leaders to help and get assessed to use the wall.
- are up to 2hrs long (7.30 – 9.30)
- are normally on a Tuesday or Thursday (although with notice other days can be accomodated)
- include all gear
- are for a maximum of 12 people (including non-climbers).
- 1 hour = £12
- 1.5 hrs = £15
- 2 hrs = £20
Please make any cheques out to “Ormskirk and District Scouts Climbing Wall (Pump House)”
For bookings, please see the links on the left.